Anything That Floats – in aid of NSRI Station 9
Sea Rescue is a charity staffed by volunteers that are on call, day and night throughout the year. They have rescue bases along the coast and on inland dams. Their goal is to prevent drowning through education, preventative measures and rescue. Year after year they update and improve on their skills and techniques and continuously investigate new technologies.
Station 9 – located in the Old Harbour, Gordon’s Bay, is one of these bases and is of particular importance to the Gordon’s Bay Yacht Club because it’s this station we call on (more often than we’d like to) to assist us when someone is in trouble.
And they drop everything and run – no matter how big or small the problem. And it’s for this very reason that we set aside a weekend once a year to raise as much as we can to help with their efforts to enhance their skills, improve their techniques and update their technology.
This year we have a really audacious goal and that is to raise the funds required to purchase a new JetRIB – valued at R400 000. It will benefit Station 9 in many ways, including:
- Replacing ‘old’ technology with the latest and greatest
- Creating a much more stable platform and increased flotation capability with the hull and Hypalon pontoon
- Enhancing their ability to respond to cliff rescues (which make up a significant portion of their calls)
- Allowing for a helmsman and two extra crew members to respond to a casualty in the water, and
- Enabling more effective response to calls in challenging surf conditions, like the rocky areas between Gordon’s Bay and Strand.
Anything That Floats promises to be a great weekend and the agenda is as follows:
- Thursday 26 March: COMEDY & COCKTAIL EVENING
- Friday 27 March: GALA DINNER & WINE AUCTION
- Saturday 28 March: ANYTHING THAT FLOATS RACE DAY
- Sunday 29 March: CLOSING BRAAI
There are three ways to get involved:
- SPONSOR – the overall event, one of the days/evenings, prizes, auction items or an element of an event (such as welcome drinks, furniture hire, video production etc). Click here for more information
- RACE – by building something that floats and racing on the day. You can enter as a club member, in the open category or as a business. Click here for all the details
- SPECTATE – on the day or at any of the events. Club members can even purchase a weekend pass for all of the events. Click here for all the information
Please contact the club if you need to know more – call 021 856 3263 or email us.