It’s only a few weeks since the AGM and I’d like thank everyone that participated in the important process of selecting the committee to guide the club for the next year. The turnout was really encouraging, possibly the best we’ve had in years and this, to me, is a clear indication that people care about the future of the club.
To anyone that didn’t make it, your good wishes and letters of encouragement were greatly appreciated. The minutes have been displayed on the club noticeboard and the following are links to my:
We have a great committee! The vibe around the table is so inspiring and really bodes well. Portfolios have been decided and are as follows:
- Richard Tough – Vice Commodore & Transformation
- Johan Burger – Treasurer
- Nico van Wieringen – Secretary
- Jana Loubser – Entertainment
- Phillip Cunningham – Marina & House Maintenance, and
- Marius Swart – Sailing & Power.
In addition to my role as Commodore, I will be taking on Marina Management and will work with Phillip and Elenore to get our mooring ‘house’ in order, once and for all.
With this great team in place, I’ve never felt more positive about the future of the club than I do right now! Each committee member is going through a process of defining the goals and plans for their portfolio and we’ll share them as they take shape.
One thing I’d like to be clear about from the start though, is that we’re not re-inventing the wheel. The member satisfaction survey, we did earlier in the year, gave us great insight into what you the members want and all we’d like to do is ensure that there is focus and action on these things. The five ‘pillars’ we identified as strategic drivers remain unchanged:
- Getting the basics in place (IT, processes, building, team, mooring maintenance and management)
- Improving our overall image (look & feel, communication, social media and digital presence)
- Increasing revenue (growing membership, the bar, the galley and external events)
- Using social activities to generate revenue (providing great music, food & sports events to attract members and day visitors), and
- Enhancing sailing activities (racing, cruising, education, motivation, youth and development).
Everything we do will be driven with these in mind and will take into account the ratings and comments from the survey.
I’d like to encourage you to participate wherever possible in activities and initiatives at the club. We’re in the process of setting up email addresses for the committee members so that you can communicate directly with them on matters relating to their portfolios but in the mean time, their numbers are on the noticeboard.
Thank you again for your ongoing support. Please feel free to keep in touch to let us know how we’re faring and we hope to see you at the club soon!
Yours in sailing